A Note To Remember
There are two versions of the game Bookworm for Nintendo DS systems.
Version 1: There is a fully-featured version was released to retail store on a Nintendo DS cartridge.
Version 2: There is a more basic version is available as a download via Nintendo's DSiWare service (DSi & DSi XL systems).
Only the the retail version (on a Nintendo DS cartridge) has Single-Card Download Play.
All of this information is only valid for the retail version (on a Nintendo DS cartridge).
1. With the power off, the host loads the game cartridge into their Nintendo DS system.
2. The host powers their system on, then taps on the "Warning" screen and then on the graphic for the game.
3. This game is played with the Nintendo DS systems being held veritcally (like a book) with the touch screen to the right of the non-touch screen.
4. If the game hasn't been played before, a profile musc be created.
4a. The host taps on an empty profile house (labeled "NEW").
4b. The host enters a profile name of up to eight (8) letters by tapping on the on-screen keyboard.
4c. To erase the last letter, tap the yellow back arrow in the bottom center of the touch screen.
4d. When the profile name is has been entered, the host taps the green "OK" button in the bottom right corner of the touch screen.
4e. The game will offer its introduction; the host can tap on the touch screen's green "Yes" to proceed or the red "NO" to skip it.
5. If this is not the first time the game has been played, the host taps on the desired profile.
6. The host taps on the word of the day (on the touch screen) to continue.
1. The host taps on "Multiplayer" (the green banner in the middle).
2. The host taps on "Single Card Game" (the bottom option).
3. The guest will power on their Nintendo DS system.
4. The guest taps on the "Warning" screen and then on the "DS Download Play" button.
5. When the graphic bar appears saying "Bookworm", the guest taps on it.
6. The guest's DS systems will ask "Would you like to download this software? Tap "Yes".
7. The download will begin automatically.
(There are no selectable options.)
1. The guest must tap on the green "READY?" button at the bottom of their touch screen to indicate that they're ready to begin the game.
2. The host must tap on the green "GO" button at the bottom of their touch screen to begin the game.
Game Controls / How To Play
1. On the touch screen, letter tiles will appear.
2. Players must create words using these letters, and each word must contain at least three letters (the "Qu" tile counts as two letters).
3. The letters must be beside (to the left or right of, or above or below) each other in order to be connected.
4. There are two ways to connect letters...
4a. Method 1: Players tap the first letter of their word and then individually tap each letter until the entire word is highlighted.
4b. Method 2: Players tap the first letter of their word and, without lifting the stylus from the screen, draws a line connecting the letters (in order).
5. If the wrong letter is selected (either method), tap on the last correct letter in the word.
6. To unselect every highlighted letter, tap on any letter on the board that is not selected and not next to the last-highlighted letter.
7. To accept a valid word, tap the green button in the bottom right corner of the touch screen (the button will be lit up green and showing the word and score).
8. If a tile is on fire, it will burn through the tiles below it and burn down the library (if it isn't used).
9. Green, gold, and blue tiles are worth bonus points (and will also burn more slowly).
10. To shuffle the letter tiles (and, in doing so, give up the current turn), press the red shuffle button in the bottom left corner of the touch screen.
10a. When the shuffle button is used, burning tiles WILL appear.
10b. The shuffle button cannot be used when a burning tile is already at the bottom.
What To Look For
1. On the non-touch screen, the goal (2,500 Ponts) displayed in the top center of the screen.
2. On the non-touch screen, the time remaining in the current turn is displayed in between the bottom two rungs of the ladder (at the bottom center of the screen).
3. On the non-touch screen, the host's current score is display at the bottom of the screen on the left (beneath the green bookworm).
4. On the non-touch screen, the guest's current score is display at the bottom of the screen on the right (beneath the pink bookworm).
5. On the touch screen, the playing field is displayed.
6. On the touch screen, the shuffle button is the red button in the bottom left corner.
7. On the touch screen, the book and library buttons will not be available, but are visible (to the right of the shuffle button).
1. Be the first player to reach 2,500 points.
2. Locate the highest scoring words.
Other information available:
If you'd like to contact this website:
to return to the DSSingleCard.com Bookworm (retail version) profile.
to return to the DSSingleCard.com main page.