Walkthrough #1 - Transcript Of The Introduction Tutorial
1. "Welcome to the world of Picross! The tutorial is about to begin. When you've finished reading, touch the OK icon on the lower screen."
2. "The numbers above each column show how many squares within each column need to be filled in."
3. "For example, the number 5 here shows you that 5 squares within this column need to be filled."
4. "Because this is a small puzzle (only 5x5 squares!), you know thatyou can fill in the whole column safely."
5. "Fill them in now. You can fill in all 5 in one go by sliding the stylus over them."
6. Draw a line down the column to fill it. "Well Done!"
7. "You'll find it's easier to solve a puzzle if you start with the large numbers first."
8. "See how the number 5 faded? This hapens when you've successfully filled in the correct number of squares."
9. "The numbers that appear beside each row indicate how many squares within that row need to be fiulled in."
10. "The 3 and 1 here mean that you must fill in 3 squares consecutively and then 1 additional square, from left to right. You must leave at least 1 space between them."
11. "Because this is a 5x5 puzzle, the only possible solution is if you fill in the first 3 squares, leave 1 space, and fill in the last square."
12. "Go ahead and fill them in."
13. Fill in (by drawing a line and/or tapping) the first three squares and the last square in the row. "Well Done!"
14. "To show that the remaining square cannot possibly filled in, you can place an X mark to block it off."
15. "The X marks are extremely important. First, touch the X icon in the top-left corner of the screen."
16. Tap the "X" (in the circle) in the top left corner of thre lower screen. "Well Done!"
17. "This activates X Mode. Now, place an X into the square between the 3 squares and the 1 square."
18. Tap the empty square (the fourth square) in the highlighted row. "Well Done!"
19. "Now, take a look at the column that crosses this square and you'll see how useful the X really is!"
20. "The X serves as a hint: you have to fill 3 squares in a row, and the only connected squares are the 3 directly below your X."
21. "Now go back to Pen Mode by touching the Pen icon in the lop-left corner of the screen."
22. Tap the Pen (in the circle) in the top left corner of thre lower screen. "Well Done!"
23. "You can switch between the Pen and X Mode easily by tapping these icons at any time. Now you can fill in the 3 squares below the X."
24. Fill in (by drawing a line and/or tapping) the three squares beneath the "X" mark. "Well Done!"
25. "This column already has a hint--the square you filled in earlier. You know that the squares above and below have to be blank, so you can mark them both with an X."
26. "Let's mark those squares! First, switch to X Mode, and then place one X above and one X below the filled square."
27. Tap the "X" (in the circle) in the top left corner of thre lower screen.
28. Tap the empty squares immediately above and immediately below the "1" to fill them in with "X" marks. "Well Done!"
29. "That X you placed on the top row means that, to solve the first row, you have to fill in the square to the right of the already-filled square."
30. "By using the X marks and the numbers along the puzzle's edge, you can figure out which squares to fill in."
31. "Now, switch back to Pen Mode and fill in that square."
32. Tap the Pen (in the circle) in the top left corner of thre lower screen.
33. Fill in (by tapping) the third square in the row (the square immediately to the right of the already filled square). "Well Done!"
34. "OK, let's take a look at the next row. If the hint shows only a single number, any unconnected squares will definitely be connected."
35. "Fill in the square between the filled squares."
36. Fill in (by tapping) the third square in the row (the square in between the already filled squares). "Well Done!"
37. "Now, over at the last column, you can see that there are two possible solutions: fill in either the top 4 squares or the bottom 4 squares."
38. "But either way you look at it, all 3 square in the middle will definitely need to be filled in."
40. Fill in (by tapping) the third and fourth squares in the column (the two squares immediately beneath the already filled square). "Well Done!"
41. "As you can see, by counting the numbers in the hints from both directions, you can fill in areas that overlap."
42. "Almost done! Just a few more squares to go... Remember, Picross doesn't rely on guesswork. Every puzzle can be solved by thinking logically."
43. "Now, use the techniques you've learned, and try to solve the rest of the puzzle on your own."
44. Fill in (by tapping) the third square in the third row (the only empty square in the third row).
45. Fill in (by tapping) the first and last squares in the fifth row (the two bottom corner squares). "Clear"
46. "Well done! You've solved the puzzle! You seem to have mastered the basic rules of Picross. Now let's take a look at some of the other features..."
47. "First, we have the Helpful Hint Roulette. Use this if you want a helping hand to get you started at the beginning of a new puzzle."
48. "When you start a new puzzle, you'll see a prompt asking if you'd like to 'Use hints?' If you choose Yes, the Helpful Hint Roulette will start rolling..."
49. "Stop the roulette either by tapping the Touch Screen or by pressing the A button."
50. "The left-hand section stop first, followed by the top section. Once both have stopped, the answers for those lines will be revealed."
51. "Normal Mode and Free Mode have slightly different rules. Let's take a look at the rules for Normal Mode."
52. "In Normal Mode, you'll be notified whenever you make a mistake."
53. "Each mistake you make adds a time penalty to your timer, so be careful!"
54. "There's a time limit of 60 minuted. If you take longer, you'll receive a TIME OVER."
55. "If you're over the time limit when you finish the puzzle, you won't earn the special picture at the end!"
56. "That brings us to the end of the tutorial. You can view the tutorial again by going to the How to Play option. Have fun!"
Walkthrough #2 - A Completye Walkthrough for "Easy Picross / Puzzle 0-A" (5x5; Row 1, Puzzle 1)
1. Row 3: This row is already completed., as there are no squares to fill in.
2. Row 5: This row is "1 1 1" and, since this is a 5x5 puzzle, this can only mean "filled-blank-filled-blank-filled" (in that order).
3. Row 5: Fill in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th square in this row.
4. Column 3: As a result of completing row 5, column 3 has been completed automatically.
5. Columns 1 & 5: These columns are listed as "2 2" and this can only fit one way... "filled-filled-blank-filled-filled" (in that order).
6. Columns 1 & 5: Fill in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th square in each of these columns.
7. Row 4: As a result of completing columns 1 & 5, row 4 has been completed automatically.
8. Rows 1 & 2: These rows are listed as "2 2" and this can only fit one way... "filled-filled-blank-filled-filled" (in that order).
9. Rows 1 & 2: Fill in the 2nd and 4th square in each of these rows.
Other information available:
If you'd like to contact this website:
to return to the DSSingleCard.com Picross DS profile.
to return to the DSSingleCard.com main page.